Have you ever felt invisible? Taken advantage of? Reluctant (or unable) to articulate what you really want? If so, join the club. The nice girls club. Nice girls–that’s right, girls–are those more concerned with pleasing others than with addressing their own needs and haven’t yet learned how to overcome the childhood messages cultural stereotypes keeping them from getting their voices heard, their needs met, and the lives they want.
Presented in the straightforward, digestible format that helped make Nice Girl’s Don’t Get the Corner Office an instant hit, Frankel and Frohlinger outline seven practical strategies and 99 supporting tactics that every winning woman should know. By the time you’ve finished reading this book, you’ll be able to:
– Get your husband to do his half of the household chores–without being made to feel like a nag.
– Stop overextending yourself by taking on all the unpleasant tasks no one on your volunteer board, or your team at work will go near.
– Win an argument with your mother in law about who will be hosting Christmas dinner.
– Have the courage to send back a meal that isn’t prepared the way you’d ordered it.
– Confront a colleague who is shirking responsibility or taking credit for your work.
– Convince a sales person to reduce a fee, waive a surcharge, or honor a store credit.
– Question a doctor’s course or treatment or request a second opinion, instead of simply going along in order to be a “good” patient.
– Firmly but politely bow out of an extravagant vacation to celebrate a friend’s birthday that you simply can’t afford-without feeling guilty about it.
And so much more.
A must-read for anyone who’s ever felt taken advantage of by a friend or family member, unappreciated by a spouse or partner, or exploited by a vindictive neighbor or co-worker, Nice Girls Just Don’t Get It offers women the indispensable knowledge and skills to get the things they want, the respect they’ve earned, and the success they deserve.